Sunday, January 3, 2010

New trail in a new decade


Wow, it looks like the trail is dusty and overgrown from lack of use. Since the last post, we have started a new school year, survived hunting season with Tim and Jonathan and seen God start and develop Everett Bible Church, of which we are privileged to be a part.

Today I preached again at Sedro-Woolley for Pastor Rick Coursen while he was away. The message was from Colossians 3:1-4. One of the key concepts in that text is that we have died, and our life is hidden with Christ in God. A great paradox for the believer. Fully alive due to human birth, we remain dead in our trespasses and sins - walking dead men. Coming to Christ by faith, we are born again. Now we are dead to sin and alive in Christ. Our life is hidden in Him - kept for eternity, preserved and secure and full of mystery and adventure, walking in obedience.

I told some of my classes a few weeks back that if you were to take one new area of obedience from the Scripture and practice it for a week, by the time you die, you would not need to repeat any of God's wonderful permissions for life. That is much better than practicing death by degrees and thinking it is life.

A new year is here. I am excited to see the things God has in store for me and my family as we continue to explore our new life in Christ.

See you on the trail.

1 comment:

Don said...

Hi Arlyn. I was interested your career teaching at a Christian school. I am now teaching a Christian school as well, Northwest Christian High School in Lacey. I teach English and Old Testament Survey. I also had occasion to preach on Col. 3 last year. My take on dead was to connect that with Gal. 2:20. It is not that I am dead in sin but that I am dead to sin and that I am now able to declare as dead <v.5) my earthly members. Anyway, great passage.